Application, Fees and Enrolment
What is the Application fee cost and how can I pay?
|Mauritian Students||MUR 200|
|Indian Students||INR 1,500|
What are the costs for the courses?
Examination & Registration fees:
- Examination fees of MUR 500 per semester
- Registration and Eligibility fees to VTU as follows:
|Category||VTU Registration and Eligibility Fees|
|Indian – Karnataka Students||MUR 3,000|
|Indian – Other Students||MUR 4,100|
When and how do I pay tuition fees?
The full amount of tuition fees is payable at the beginning of each academic year of courses or semester wise at the beginning of each semester.
When does the program start?
As per VTU calendar, the academic calendar starts with the odd semester in August and the even semester in February.
How long does the course take?
All B.E. courses currently offered are of 4 years duration, with 2 semesters per year.
What is the usual duration of each semester?
Teaching is for four months (16 weeks) from date of commencement of semester declared by VTU.
Is there any break between the semesters to come home?
Every semester break starts from the end of examinations (at end of odd semester in January and at end of even semester in July) and last approximately 2 to 4 weeks
When is the application for admission deadline?
- Local students: On a first come first serve basis till 31 July 2011
- Overseas students: On a first come first serve basis till 15 June 2011
What documents need to be submitted at the time of application?
- The completed and signed application form.
- Photocopy of Identity Card for Mauritian students; Scan copy of first two pages of valid passport for foreign students.
- Passport-size photo (in soft copy for foreign applicants)
- Copy of Educational Certificate of Higher School Certificate examination or equivalent (in soft copy for foreign applicants)
- Copy of Date of Birth Certificate (in soft copy for foreign applicants)
What are the formalities for the issue of visas for foreign students?
- Once application for admission is reviewed and accepted, an admission letter is issued, which needs to and presented to Immigration at the Airport upon first entry in Mauritius.
- A Resident Permit application is sent by email that needs to filled, signed, scanned and sent back to us by email along with a handwritten undertaking by 30 June 2011.
- Foreign students need to ensure that their passport be valid for the entire duration of their studies prior to travelling.
- The students should produce Parents’/Guardian’s/ Sponsor’s Bank statement.
Can I switch over to other colleges during the period of study?
Yes, this is possible in any VTU-affiliated institution through a request to the Principal of JSSATE Mauritius
Is there any provision to switch over to other discipline?
Under the condition of clearing all subjects and based on merit, students may apply to the Principal for a change of branch at the beginning of third semester.
Is English the medium of instruction?
English is the only medium of instruction and teaching
Will there be any workshops?
- Special guests are invited on a regular basis to deliver short specialized courses to relevant students.
- Special workshops to improve the soft skills of students are also organized.
Will I be able to have tutorial classes for better understanding?
Tutorial hours are offered for every subject in each semester and can be increased as per needs.
Do I need a computer?
A laptop is recommended, but is not necessary since the college does provide adequate facilities.
How do I appear for examinations?
- Students are only allowed to appear for examinations if they maintain at least 85% attendance throughout the semester
- Application for examinations is done 1 month before beginning of examinations and a hall ticket is issued.
- Examination fees payable are of MUR 500 each semester.
Will I be able to succeed?
Studies in Engineering can be effectively managed with the right concentration in class, regular study (review) hours daily, and dedication to this cause throughout the semester.
What if I find the course too hard?
- Students are encouraged to maximally interact with their lecturing staff, especially in class and in tutorial sessions to overcome any difficulties.
- A continuous monitoring system allows students’ progress to be effectively managed throughout a semester of academic activities by Professors and Lecturers.
How many hours per week are spent for theory and practical classes?
6 theory subjects of 4 hours of lecture time and 3 hours of 2 laboratory sessions are scheduled/week.
How many hours will be required for me to devote to studies?
Regular attendance of classes & regular review and study usually only demands two to three hours of work per day.
Are there any assignments or tests to evaluate students’ understanding level?
- After completion of specific units or chapters, assignments are given to help the students get prepared for semester-end VTU examinations
- A component of overall evaluation of any theory or practical subject is internal assessment, of which three are held for each theory subject and the best two results are averaged out.
Apart from books, any study materials given?
Depending upon specific subjects, additional materials may be provided.
Question paper pattern (numerical/objective/essay-type)?
- Examinations questions are a combination of numerical, short answer questions and essay-type questions for all theory subjects.
- First year courses combine the above with objective-type questions.
- All theory question papers are set for 160 marks (8 main questions of 20 marks each), of which the student needs to answer 100 marks (5 main questions of 20 marks).
Is there any off-campus study (only on campus study)?
- Regular educational visits are organized every semester for students to get exposure to real engineering activities in industries.
- Students are encouraged to carry out short terms placements during semester breaks to further their exposure to industry.
Facilities on Campus
Are hostel facilities available?
Both boys and girls hostels are available within the campus.
Are boys and girls hostels separate?
Boy and Girls hostels are separate.
Are medical facilities made available on campus?
- As mandated, basic first aid facilities are provided on campus.
- If required, a major national hospital is located only 2km from campus.
Are there shopping malls nearby?
There are a few shopping malls nearby that provide all basic and other necessities 2km from campus.
What are the transport facilities available?
All students travelling to and from campus from home are provided free bus fare as allowed by National Transport Authority issued student cards.
Access of university syllabus and books in library
- Each student is allowed to borrow 6 textbooks for a period of 15 days. These can be renewed as required.
- Hard copies of syllabi are kept in the library; these are also, however, readily available on VTU web site – http://www.vtu.ac.in
Are Internet facilities or Wi-fi facilities accessible on campus?
- Students can avail of internet facilities in the web browsing lab, after class hours.
- Wi-fi zones have been created where students can use internet facilities on their laptops 24/7.
Prospects after course
Is the degree internationally recognized?
VTU graduates are readily recruited by multinationals in India and all over the world.
Will I be eligible to do MS in US, MEng in UK, MTech in India or MBA with my degree?
VTU graduates can also pursue further studies, most notably in the US, the UK, Australia, India either in technical fields for MS, MEng or MTech degrees, or even MBA degrees all over the world.
Can I get a job immediately after completing the course?
- Mauritius is a booming economy focusing on a booming ICT sector which sees a number of reputed foreign companies being established locally, which guarantees the need for an increasingly large number of Computer Science and Electronics & Communication Engineering graduates.
- Mauritius is has a number of construction firms with ever increasing demands of infrastructure development and, hence, for Civil Engineering graduates
- Mauritius is currently focusing on the “Maurice Ile Durable” concept which calls for a growing number of Electrical Engineering graduates who can help steer Mauritius to more sustainable means of generating electrical power.
Any placement program?
Placement programs are organized at the beginning of final year of studies, whereby prospective employers are called on campus for recruitment of the next batch of graduates.
Studying in Mauritius
What is the cost of living in the country?
Average Unit Prices of commonly used items for a student in Mauritius
|A.1||Copybook (100 pages)||$0.50|
|NA.4||Washing soap (750 g)||$2.50|
|Food (outside of hostel, if so desired)|
|F.1||KFC – Zinger meal||$3.50|
|F.2||Pizza Hut – Personal pan pizza||$4.00|
|F.3||Chicken kebab sandwich||$2.00|
|F.4||Dholl puri (Stuffed paratha with curry roll popular)||$0.30|
Climate Pattern (Typical seasonal climate, Temperature)
Mauritius is a tropical island with conducive weather and climatic conditions (on campus, notably, temperature does not exceed 30 oC in summer – months of November to March – and does not fall below 15 oC in winter – months of May – September).
Entertainment facilities in Mauritius?
- Mauritius presents as a prime location for tourism with its idyllic sandy beaches and calm bluish-green lagoons, with a host of recreational activities offered at a number of beaches.
- Mauritius has a number of wonderful trekking trails with spectacular views, fauna and flora to be seen.
- A number of Film theatres project various Hollywood, but especially Bollywood movies.
- Shopping malls with Food Courts are popular in the Mauritian culture.
- Mauritius offers a number of sports-related activities for residents and foreign residents (football, badminton, basketball, volleyball, table-tennis, pool, swimming etc.).
Any educational loans available from commercial banks in Mauritius?
Mauritian students can avail of loan facilities from our Banker, Bank of Baroda, at very interesting preferential rates for JSSATE students, and other local banks, if so desired.
Which are the Airlines operating to Mauritius
- Air Mauritius regularly flies to and fro between Mauritius and India, Mauritius and Kenya, Mauritius and South Africa, Mauritius and UK.
- Emirates Airlines also has daily flights to Mauritius from Dubai
- Please consult your travel agent or airline web sites for detailed information.
What is the luggage weight and handbag carry weight allowed?
Luggage worth 30 kg, and 1 handbag of 10 kg in Economy class.
What is the currency and the prevailing exchange rates?
The local currency is the Mauritian Rupee, MUR and prevailing exchange rates vis-à-vis major currencies are as follows:
- USD 1 = MUR 29.00 (approx.)
- INR 1 = MUR 0.63 (approx.)
- ZAR 1 = MUR 4.20 (approx.)
- EUR 1 = MUR 40.00 (approx.)
- GBP 1 = MUR 47.00 (approx.)
Students are advised to bring their currency in either of USD or EUR. However, ATMs are widely available, where direct withdrawals in MUR can be done from any foreign bank account.
Credit cards can be used?
All major internationally recognized credit cards (Visa and Master Card) are accepted in most places in Mauritius.